5.19.2009

I want. I need. I must. I crave.

I hear statements like this everywhere I go. We are all guilty of this drive to have. The beauty in sitting Zazen and trying to practice Zen Buddhism is that one becomes aware of this constant wanting and sees how foolish it truly can be. No this is not to say that even the greatest of great masters do not want. It is just how they interpret that feeling. In Zen one tries not to cling to anything. Say I was sitting Zazen. A thought comes to mind like this; "Oh I really want that Klondike Bar in the freezer... yeah I deserve that ice cream, I had a long day." Most people would keep that train of thought until it drove them to get up and satisfy that desperate need for ice cream.

Someone who practices Zen will still crave but the situation would be slightly different. "Oh I want that Klondike Bar in the freezer." The practitioner would acknowledge that thought and let it pass. (NOT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS!) Eventually the feeling of wanting would leave. 

This I think is a great part of Zen that anyone can begin to practice. If we eliminate simple cravings such as the new shoes, or hot designer brand clothing, one can live with less suffering.

Night.

1 comment:

  1. HARDLY as easy as it sounds. When I began my research of Buddhism this was one of the biggest things I struggled with. I've since given up my resistance to wanting though. But I must admit I don't really feel any better.

    ReplyDelete